Saturday, October 29, 2016

Pain is Relative

Driftless Valley in Southeastern Wisconsin

Today started with physical therapy for about an hour.  I recently ( 7 weeks ago ) had knee replacement surgery and  currently I am undergoing out patient therapy that followed 5 weeks of at home therapy.

Knee replacement surgery is no joke.  It is intense and painful.  When I went to the surgeon this June, I found out I would eventually need to have replacement on both knees.  At that point, I was unable to walk long distances, without excruciating pain.

At my age, 56, I was convinced that I was too young to have knee replacement surgery.  That is only for "old" people.  Guess what?   I AM old.  And arthritis has done a job on my knees. So, after a pity party, I decided to go ahead and get one of my knees done.

The surgeon was highly recommended, and so far I am pleased with the results.  But what do I have to compare it to?  Luckily, the pain medication is working.   The home exercises are working to increase mobility too.  The pain is the greatest when I am trying to sleep.  I wake up several times a night due to the pain, and when I try to shift around, that is when the pain really gets my attention!

There is a lack of healing at the incision.  The area is getting smaller, but it is taking for ever.  The surgeon checks it out every week to keep an eye on it.  I am hoping to avoid a surgery to clean it out.  I have been on antibiotics, and am now using a prescription antibiotic cream. I'd post pictures, but they are pretty graphic.

It been almost two months since I have seriously tracked our grocery spending/eating out.  Since the surgery, we have eaten out a lot!  My husband works full time and he really hates to cook.  He tries with simple meals,but I would like to once again keep track for at least the November and December.  If I have another knee replacement in Jan, I won't feel much like keeping track of anything.

I will again borrow the title "The Great Food Fight" and start in November.  I did this back in 2013, you can read about it here. Feel free to join along!

The rest of the day will be spent cleaning out more clutter,  Later on, the grandkids will be coming over and we will take them to a Trunk or Treat at a local church.  Should be a lot of fun!  They usually spend the night on Saturday's and I take them to church with me on Sundays.  After they leave on Sunday, you can bet I will be ready for a nap!

Have a great Saturday!



2 comments:

  1. I'm sorry that your incision is slow to heal and you're in pain. My knees hurt so much, especially when I go up and down stairs, that I wonder if I'll be in for a knee replacement one of these days.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Janie,
      I was in severe pain before this surgery. I am confident it will all be worth it! The post surgery pain will get better and that was not going to happen if I did nothing.

      If and when you decide, shop around for the best surgeon for you!

      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete